Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Wrapping Up Sweets

Hey Guys!

I made an awesome super yummy breakfast this morning that kept off my cravings for sweets today! I often crave sugar at two times in my day, right when I wake up and after dinner. There's very good reasons for both so I of course when straight to Google to find out why! (what a wonderful resource!)

In The Morning :
"Low blood sugar might be to blame for intense morning sugar cravings. If your blood sugar isn't properly managed and maintained, it can fall extremely low during the night when you’re not filling your body with food. When you wake up, your body craves sugar as a quick fix for low blood sugar. " " If you’re not getting enough quality sleep, your sugar cravings could be related to spending too little time in dreamland. In this case, you’ll probably have sugar cravings that pop up sporadically throughout the day -- not just in the morning. When your body and brain are tired, you begin craving carbs because they provide a quick boost of energy. Because sugar is a simple carbohydrate, it has a very quick effect on energy levels. "
(credit) http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/craving-sugar-morning-8579.html

After A Meal:
"Eating an unbalanced diet high in carbohydrates will cause your blood sugar levels to rise and then drop suddenly after dinner. Our bodies want this "high" again, so we look to sugar. We also experience low blood sugar when we're tired, which causes us to need more carbs for a pick-me-up."
 (credit)http://www.naturade.com/articles/healthy-living/health-tips/why-do-i-crave-sweets-after-a-meal/

Some of the other reasons I was finding for after dinner is that we've almost been trained to think dessert comes next after dinner. I find that one especially true because for a long time I had been having some kind of dessert after dinner. However I found if I eat breakfast in the morning I won't crave sugar so early. This is extremely important to me because I work at a self-serve frozen treats shop. The fist thing I do in the mornings is fill the low toppings from the night before. I'm way more likely to eat a topping or crave the yogurt. Which if you didn't know is pretty high in sugar. There's a reason it taste like ice cream! So here's my master piece! 

Super Simple Breakfast Wrap:

Tools you'll need
-1 deep bowl or small mixing bowl
-Whisk
-Rubber spatula
- A 8 1/2 in/21.5 cm Skillet
- Cutting board
- Knife

Ingredients
- 2 eggs (free range,cage free or organic if you prefer that)
- 1 TBS Extra virgin olive oil ( I highly suggest organic over any off brand) 
-Lettuce ( or spinach!)
-Tomato (or salsa!)
- 1 tortilla (Large)
   
Directions

Put pan on stove at 31/2 for electric stoves or low flame for gas stoves and wait for it to heat up. In the mean time whisk two eggs in a bowl until well mixed. A good tip for whisking is to go left and right or up and down instead of in a circle. Basically a straight line quickly incorporates more air faster and requires less work! Plus it's easier on your wrist! After that cut up veggies if you'd like to make it with tomato. You could also add cucumbers or avocado. The possibilities for this are endless.  Next pour a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in the pan. This will tell you if the pans hot enough which it should be by now. If it's sizzling pour the eggs in! Now cook it like an omelet, which is actually kinda hard. Here's a good instructional video that I learned from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUqlLoOaAds (Soon I'll have my own exciting video on this!) Don't worry if you suck at it in the beginning. My omelets we're falling apart and a mess when I first started and now I'm getting better and better! You only have to watch how she flips the egg. After you've cooked the egg sit it in the middle of the tortilla. Put the spinach and veggies on top of the egg. If your in a hurry you can use salsa instead! In the mornings I hate making a ton of dishes so this cuts out the cutting board and knife. You could also cut them the night before and store them in the fridge! The more hard work you put into it though the yummy it is. Next fold up tortilla in a wrap or burrito style if all else fails ( It would not do a wrap this morning!) Then Eat up! :D

There you have it! I really want to try using coconut oil instead of olive oil soon! I'll let you guys know how that turns out! But as long as you get organic extra virgin olive oil your still in the clear! This recipe is 80/20 in what I'd like a meal to be at this point in my journey. Meaning 80% of the meal is organic or GMO free and the other 20%  isn't ,the tortillas and salsa.  I got this idea from a inspiring free book. Unfortunately I can't find it :( when I do I'll credit her! She had an amazing story about going organic!

All right that's all for tonight! I hope you guy's enjoyed this and please feel free to leave feed back it's always welcomed! See you tomorrow!

-Sara Star      

No comments:

Post a Comment